Tuesday 22 January 2013

In need of a getaway

Do you ever feel like you just need to escape your life for a bit?

 I am incredibly fortunate to have such amazing people in my life, but lately I have been feeling like I was stuck in a rut or going through a mid-20’s crisis which sounds a bit overdramatic, but I was really looking for a change.

 I wanted to do something that was exciting and new and most importantly, I wanted to try to do it on my own. What I did might not sound too adventurous to most people, but I have returned with a new sense of pride in myself for not being afraid to stretch my comfort zone and try something new.

 This past week I had some time off work and decided that I would like to take a small trip by myself. Everyone else was working, and I didn’t want to waste my time off doing nothing around the house, so I decided to plan a road trip to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I have heard wonderful things about Ottawa, but was nervous about the 7 hour drive by myself, and finding my way around an unfamiliar city.
Parliament Buildings, Ottawa

The drive to Ottawa was fairly uneventful, but I found that I really enjoyed the quiet time to myself. Listening to my favourite music, taking time to think and enjoying the scenery as I headed North was actually one of the most relaxing moments I have had lately.

 I stopped by the Ikea in Ottawa as I have heard that it is one of the largest in Canada and I enjoyed a rather quiet walk around the empty store. I also couldn’t pass an Ikea without stopping for their incredible meatballs and Mac ‘n’ Cheese!
Empty Ikea Restaurant


I decided that I wanted to make the most of my very short trip to Ottawa, so I left bright and early the next morning and headed around the corner to the Museum of Nature. I felt slightly uncomfortable being the only single person walking around the museum, but I quickly became so engrossed in the different exhibits that I happily wandered around for a few hours. My favourite exhibit would have to be the dinosaurs, as I just think they are the coolest thing ever (I'm not 5, I promise!). I also really enjoyed the marine exhibit as well as the exhibit about volcanoes.

Ottawa Museum of Nature
T-Rex!!
 

 After learning everything I possibly could from the museum, I set out on a long and cold walk from one end of downtown, up to the Parliament Buildings along the water. The architecture of these buildings was incredible and I loved how serene it felt to look over the canal in the winter.

 Rideau Canal
 

After a long and exciting solo day, I was happy to meet up with a friend who took me to the Byward Market area of Ottawa. This was one of my favourite parts of Ottawa as it was full of neat shops and nice restaurants. We ate at cool restaurant that had a really fun atmosphere. I decided to make the most of this “try something new” motto that I had, so I let my friend pick what we would eat and was really glad I did. I am a slightly picky eater so when lamb tacos were ordered, I was pretty hesitant. Trying something new is definitely something that I should stick with as these tacos were literally the best thing I have ever eaten at a restaurant! If you ever find yourself in Ottawa, make sure that you stop by the Sidedoor in the Byward Market for the best food you will ever have.

 
Overall, I had an amazing getaway and am so glad that I decided to push myself to try new things that would have made me feel uncomfortable before. I can’t wait to see what I get to try next!

1 comment:

  1. Trust me I have had that feeling as well. Its nice to get out and do things by yourself, I am glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete